So you are considering a direct mail marketing campaign to promote your company? Direct mail marketing is a very effective way for business to spread the word about their products and services. However, it is important to do it correctly for best results. If you don’t use the right techniques your hard work might not see all the expected results. It is important to make sure that all the direct mail marketing pieces are getting sent to the right audience and that the recipients are opening them.
So what should you keep in mind when it comes to direct mail marketing? Here are some tips:
- Do always proofread your documents before you send them out. This might seem like an obvious tip, but if you send out marketing materials with a spelling mistake or a grammatical error on them it will really damage your credibility. In order to avoid this, always have someone else proof-read your document before you send it.
- Don’t make your call to action It should be very easy for the recipient to figure out what you want them to do when they receive the mail. If it is unclear you will lose a lot of opportunities to capture their interest and make them take action.
- Do think ahead to the future and have an idea of what you plan to do with the response from your campaign. When people start to respond, what will you do with that buzz in order to capture their interest? Make a commitment to follow up, rather than just sending out one successful mailing campaign and then coasting on that success.
- Don’t use jargon or buzz words that overhype your product. Customers are sceptical and if something sounds too good to be true, they will mistrust it. Instead, use honest and straightforward terms to describe the positive benefits of your product and what it has to offer.
- Do use an address finder to get the addresses you need to build your mailing list. There are many address lookup services that can help you do this.
- Do learn from others. Take a look on the internet for direct mailing campaigns that are similar to yours so that you can learn from them and get some new ideas.
- Don’t be afraid to offer a freebie. You can send out a small gift such as a sticker, a notepad, a pen, a keychain or anything else small enough to fit in an envelope. This really makes you stand out from the competition so that you can grab the attention of your customers.
- Do test your direct mailing campaign. Try different ad copies or different offers and see which one works the best.
- Don’t focus all of your attention on the design. Often business owners will spend a lot of time on a really flashy design for their direct mail marketing campaign but not enough time on ensuring that they have a high quality list of people to send it to. The list is very important, so be careful not to spend all of your time on the design.
- Do make sure that you figure out who your audience is before you start sending out your direct mail campaign. You don’t want to waste money sending it out to anyone; you want to be able to target it to the people who will be more likely to respond.
- Don’t forget to follow up with the people that do respond to your mail. You have put the effort into contacting them and you have been successful, so hold onto those interested leads. This can be anything from sending them a thank you note to adding them to a VIP list so that you can use their contact information later. Re-engaging with those customers is very valuable when you start your next marketing campaign.
- Do encourage people to visit you and follow you on social media. While you have their attention you may as well build your following.
These are just a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind when it comes to your direct mail marketing campaigns. When you get it right and use the right strategies, you can enjoy the benefits that direct mail marketing has to offer.